Head of Impact
Our mission is to bring people together to turn the tide on ocean plastic. It's our belief that we don’t need a handful of people doing sustainability perfectly, we need millions doing it imperfectly. We have big plans and ambitions and have some great backing behind us - Ocean Bottle is made up of a lean but growing team and this is an opportunity to come join a brand that is going to change the world for the better.
Since launching in January 2019 Ocean Bottle has shipped hundreds of thousands of units to 88 countries and partnered with brands including Pangaia, Red Bull, Universal Music, Golden Globes through to Ed Sheeran. We have collected 4,039,607 kgs of plastic and improved livelihoods at the same time, because whether at home or further afield, environmental justice is social justice. We are proud of our diversity policy and it’s our belief that better ideas come from a more diverse team and that the ocean needs all of us. Our work is driven by our impact pillars, which we put front and center to what we do: Ocean Health, Social Good, Closing the Loop and Climate Action. By 2025 our goal is to prevent the equivalent of 7 billion plastic bottles from entering the ocean. Will you help us get there?
This is a one-of-a-kind job for a one-of-a-kind person. Sustainability has been embedded at the core of our company since inception but as our first Head of Impact, you will build the sustainability department and have the opportunity to take what we are doing to the next level. You will create and drive our future strategy and commitments alongside educating and encouraging our people to support us in this journey.
You will be responsible for managing and shaping a growing team, driving cross-functional impact projects, and ensuring that our sustainability and impact credentials are world-leading. This will include and not be limited to creating maximum environmental and social impact through our paid coastal community initiatives and driving sustainability across our value chain to the users of our products and services.
Sustainability & Impact department
- Define and implement Ocean Bottle’s framework to support long term plans
- Develop cohesive marketing narrative and support CMO & marketing team with impact and sustainability comms and work with external stakeholders to promote our approach to stopping ocean plastic and impact, and convey our impact emotionally to our audience.
- Lead and co-develop our "Ocean Impact Engine" underpinning traceability of all plastic collection (and ocean impact) with platform and marketing teams to all customers
- Establish science-based approach to plastic collection to target key sources of pollution and turn the tide on ocean plastic linked to above
- Secure Impact Advisory Board and interact with internationally recognised climate action organizations and their founders
- Explore (and launch) new impact verticals linked to coastal communities around the world to achieve our impact mission in the most significant way.
- Manage and expand OB’s environmental management systems to map and monitor key environmental indicators e.g. waste, water, ghg emissions
- Audit & present findings and areas for improvement, policies, and recommendations for follow up action
Plastic collection partners
- Work with the Impact manager to foster fruitful collaborations with our partners and support long term Ocean Bottle’s plan of project deployment
- Monitor existing collection partners' social & environmental standards
- Establish standards for all our partners and scope new plastic collection projects for maximum environmental and social impact
- Drive circular & traceability initiatives designed to monitor and reduce Ocean Bottle’s environmental footprint and increase the transparency of our value chain
- Support factory to reach environmental and social objectives and NPD team with material research and closed-loop sourcing
- Explore (and develop) paid circularity program for partner organizations
- Support the team to complete LCA for all new products and updates
Track and implement progress
- Lead on key annual report and Bcorp score
- Monitor existing and secure new OB value chain certifications
- Implement a framework for carbon reduction: implement strategic priorities to improve product footprint and across ocean health, social good, climate action, and circularity
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years working experience in the relevant area
- A proven track record of embedding and transforming sustainability strategy & initiatives within a similar organization either in-house or as a consultant
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to manage a broad range of projects, stakeholders, and team
- Knowledge of plastics space, carbon footprinting, science-based targets, and certifications
- Operational, analytical skills and data fluency to deliver efficiently projects
Bonus Points (nonessential, but a bonus if you have them!)
- Previously Involved in circular or traceability programs
- Been exposed to material development, processing, or manufacturing of consumer goods
- Degree in Environmental Science, Sustainability or related fields
WHAT YOU’LL GET
We’re looking to pay a starting salary of £60,000 - £65,000 for this role, depending on experience. We are committed to ratcheting salaries as we grow, so you’ll be rewarded for being an amazing employee and contributing to our growth!
Fun stuff …
- Stock options: so you’re as invested in our future growth as we are!
- 26 days paid holiday – 25 days plus an extra day off on your birthday (because who wants to work on their birthday)
- Flexible working and flexible unpaid leave
- Social: Regular team social events, pizzas a fortnight are a must! We work at WeWork Cursitor every Monday & Wednesday. While we’re still small we want to make the most of company weeks away and days spent at home or in different places.
- Pension: We provide a pension scheme for all permanent employees, in line with government requirements
- Learning perks: We’ll give you £100 towards books and learning materials every year, so your next read is on us.
- We’ll offset your annual carbon footprint
To apply, please send the below details to email@example.com:
- A quick blurb about why you're interested in the role and why you think you'd be great for it