Engineering Team Lead
Our mission is to bring people together to turn the tide on ocean plastic. It's our belief that we don’t need a handful of people doing sustainability perfectly, we need millions doing it imperfectly. We have big plans and ambitions and have some great backing behind us - Ocean Bottle is made up of a lean but growing team and this is an opportunity to come join a brand that is going to change the world for the better.
Since launching in January 2019 Ocean Bottle has shipped hundreds of thousands of units to 88 countries and partnered with brands including Pangaia, Red Bull, Universal Music, Golden Globes through to Ed Sheeran. We have collected 4,543,176 kgs of plastic and improved livelihoods at the same time, because whether at home or further afield, environmental justice is social justice. We are proud of our diversity policy and it’s our belief that better ideas come from a more diverse team and that the ocean needs all of us. Our work is driven by our impact pillars, which we put front and center to what we do: Ocean Health, Social Good, Closing the Loop and Climate Action. By 2025 our goal is to prevent the equivalent of 7 billion plastic bottles from entering the ocean.
Will you help us get there?
We’re looking for our very first in-house engineering hire to work directly with our Head of Platform, founders and leadership team. The Engineering Lead will play a key role in leading the technical direction of our ambitious Ocean tech roadmap. We are looking to hire a dynamic technology leader to build and lead a team of talented engineers. This is a great opportunity to shape Ocean Bottle’s technology & strategy to push the boundaries of what is possible in the sustainable and environmental space.
You will help drive and develop our Technology roadmap (including our mobile app, ledger and APIs, as well as Web3 projects) and collaborate with key stakeholders (internal and external) on architecture, requirements and implementation of technical solutions. You will also support the Head of Platform in identifying our technology needs and will lead on hiring your engineering team.
- Work with the leadership team to identify technology & product requirements to inform our company roadmap;
- Design and build innovative, modern and scalable architecture;
- Oversee and lead the development of our mobile app and Impact Platform (ledger and APIs);
- Write code alongside your development team (currently external);
- Hire your team, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization;
- Enjoy working in a diverse, dynamic, collaborative, transparent, environment where everyone's ideas and opinions are equally valued;
- Develop standards and procedures to ensure that quality standards are met and consistent;
- Recommend technological developments and improvements;
- Cross-pollinate good engineering practices and insights across the organisation;
- See-through a project from conception to finished product.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 4+ years of software development, delivering new products to market and expert experience in any of the following: Flutter, Angular, Node.js and Express. Full-stack developer experience preferred;
- Demonstrated progressive leadership in technology organisations and fast-paced, agile environments (Agile, Lean & Continuous Delivery);
- Hands-on development and delivery experience with a broad mix of languages and technologies;
- Proficient in leading engineers to deliver good quality and clean code;
- Experience in recruiting and hiring Software Engineers and code reviewing technical outputs throughout the recruitment process;
- Experience with industry-standard code documentation approaches (Markdown, Swagger / Postman);
- Ability to engage and drive stakeholders and decision-makers on technical topics.
Bonus Points (nonessential, but a bonus if you have them!)
- BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science, or equivalent;
- An ability to partner with the wider team and product managers to author developer documentation, including high-level overviews, references, examples, tutorials, and more;
- Experienced in building data infrastructures for enterprise organizations and startups;
- Experience in overseeing major integrations across client and 3rd party systems;
- Interest in Web3 projects (Blockchain related-projects, tokenization, …);
- Any IoT experience or interests (MQTT, Bluetooth Low Energy, NFC).
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Stock options: so you’re as invested in our future growth as we are!
- 26 days paid holiday (excluding bank holidays) – 25 days plus an extra day off on your birthday (because who wants to work on their birthday)
- Flexible working and flexible unpaid leave
- Be part of a diverse and inclusive team and way of working
- Social: Regular team social events. We work at WeWork Cursitor St and usually get together for workshops on Wednesdays. While we’re still small we want to make the most of company weeks away and days spent at home or in different places.
- Pension: We provide a pension scheme for all permanent employees, in line with government requirements
- Learning perks: We’ll give you £100 towards books and learning materials every year, so your next read is on us.
- We’ll offset your annual carbon footprint - Mangroves are the future!