Find the full recipe below!
- 1 orange, the peel and juice
- A thumb sized piece of ginger
- 4 bay leaves (fresh or dried are both fine)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 1 nutmeg
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- 750ml red wine (a merlot is great here)
- 100ml orange liqueur or brandy (optional)
- Using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, remove about 5 long strips of orange peel, then juice the orange. Roughly slice the ginger, you can even leave the skin on!
- Add the peel, juice and ginger to a deep pan alongside the bay leaves, all the spices and the sugar.
- Add both the wine and liqueur (if using) to the pan too, then pop on a low heat for about 15 minutes being careful not to let it boil at any point.
- After it’s warmed through, ladle into mugs or your favourite brew bottle. For a more intense flavour, leave to infuse for an hour or so and reheat before serving!