Our mission is to bring people together to turn the tide on ocean plastic. It's our belief that we don’t need a handful of people doing sustainability perfectly, we need millions doing it imperfectly. We have big plans and ambitions and have some great backing behind us - Ocean Bottle is made up of a lean but growing team and this is an opportunity to come join a brand that is going to change the world for the better.
Since launching in January 2019 Ocean Bottle has shipped hundreds of thousands of units to 88 countries and partnered with brands including Pangaia, Soho House, Universal Music, Golden Globes through to Ed Sheeran. We have collected 3,025,752 kgs of plastic and improved livelihoods at the same time, because whether at home or further afield, social justice is environmental justice. It’s our belief better ideas come from a more diverse team, we are proud of our diversity policy. Our work is driven by our impact pillars, which we put front and center to what we do; Ocean Health, Social Good, Closing the Loop and Climate Action By 2025 our goal is to prevent the equivalent of 7 billion plastic bottles from entering the ocean. Will you help us get there?
We’re looking for our first Finance Manager to work directly with our (part-time) Finance Director & external accountants. This is an excellent opportunity for a data-driven professional to join a fast-growing startup.
You will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the finance function.
Day to day
- Own the day to day finance function: supplier payment run, bank reconciliation, weekly debtors, VAT return review (UK, Irish)
- Collaborate with our agency to ensure accurate and up to date record keeping whilst streamlining processes
- Responsible for month-end reporting: margin analysis (pro-actively resolve areas of concern), department reviews, stock reconciliation, cash flow review
- Develop monthly information packs and relevant insights and present monthly performance at the monthly all-hands and monitor business KPIs
- Support on budget and cash forecasting
- Identify opportunities to streamline channel-specific data preparation & reporting processes to reduce manual error and increase time for analysis & insights.
- Support the Finance Director to develop the financial planning function: implement monthly metrics (e.g: gross margin per product, channel, country) to provide visibility to the business whilst minimizing the potential risk (FX, cash flow, stock management)
- Support the business expansion by implementing best finance practices and ensuring compliance with local statutory requirements
- Collaborate with the supply chain team to implement automation and systems such as Stock Management System and provide all finance requirements.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Accountancy qualification – ACA, ACCA or CIMA with at least 3-4 years of post-qualified experience
- Strong technical accounting knowledge
- Analytical thinker and team player, a self-starter, willing to take responsibility for problem solving and possesses excellent attention to detail.
- Aptitude to learn new technologies and analytical methodologies relating to business intelligence and data analysis.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills to disseminate information to a variety of stakeholders.
Bonus Points (nonessential, but a bonus if you have them!)
- Industry experience in areas such as eCommerce, FMCG, Logistics, and retail preferred
- Experience working in a fast-growing startup environment
- Commercial acumen, high proficiency in financial analysis & modeling
WHAT YOU’LL GET
We’re looking to pay a starting salary of £45,000 - £55,000 for this role, depending on experience. We are committed to ratcheting salaries as we grow, so you’ll be rewarded for being an amazing employee and contributing to our growth!
Fun stuff …
- Stock options: so you’re as invested in our future growth as we are!
- 26 days paid holiday – 25 days plus an extra day off on your birthday (because who wants to work on their birthday)
- Flexible working and flexible unpaid leave
- Social: Regular team social events, pizzas a fortnight are a must! We work at WeWork Cursitor every Monday & Wednesday. While we’re still small we want to make the most of company weeks away and days spent at home or in different places.
- Pension: We provide a pension scheme for all permanent employees, in line with government requirements
- Learning perks: We’ll give you £100 towards books and learning materials every year, so your next read is on us.
- We’ll offset your annual carbon footprint
To apply, please send the below details to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A quick blurb about why you're interested in the role and why you think you'd be great for it