Product Development Manager
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Ocean Bottle exists to enable anyone that gives a damn about this planet the opportunity to help turn the tap off ocean plastic. We have some great backing behind us, big ambitions and want you to help us achieve them. This is an opportunity to come join a brand that is going to change the world for the better.
We have two fundamental beliefs as a company, that the impact we create and the products we develop should be uncompromising. Our impact is 25x any equivalent product on the market and our first multi award winning product has been recently dubbed by the Times “If Apple were to design a drinks container for life, this would be it”. The goal is now to continue down this path and take it to the next level.
Since launching in January 2019 Ocean Bottle has shipped nearly 100k units out into the world, collected 1,026,940kgs of plastic and improved livelihoods at the same time. By 2025 our goal is to fund collection equivalent to 7 billion plastic bottles from entering the ocean. Will you help us get there?
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER to join Team OB and take on the responsibility of managing the company’s new product development roadmap. You will be responsible for ensuring that we create world class products that have an unparalleled environmental footprint and be part of raising the bar on what it means to be a sustainable product.
You are an ambitious product designer who believes in the need to totally shift the dial in terms of sustainable design, whilst also not compromising aesthetics, versatility, the ultimate user experience and on creating great products. You should have strong experience working with product development and manufacturing and feel comfortable managing these processes from start to finish. You have a deep rooted empathy and understanding for the people using our products and are eager to manage product development with them in mind. You take initiative and drive things forward in order to beat goals and timelines and are able to manage multiple stakeholders and decision making. Underlying all of this, is a genuine care and empathy for the ocean, the social mobility we are enhancing and the tribe of people that love our brand and product.
- You have strong experience with developing premium lifestyle products with a heavy emphasis on user experience design
- You have materials science knowledge and have worked with sustainability in design and are very interested in this space
- You have experience with DFM and implementation of products into manufacture
- You’ve got experience working with different stakeholders across the value chain including materials sourcing, part production and assembly
- You have experience with project management and working to timelines
- Commercial experience and ability to price negotiate
- 5 years of product development experience
- Other ideal experience: production in China and the difficulties arising from language barriers, degree in product design or materials science, LCA and supply chain analysis, repair and recycling programmes, CAD experience
- Work with the Head of Growth and the founders on setting the new product development roadmap for the company, turning ideas into action in order to best meet our customers and create impact
- Be responsible for project managing all new product development together with our product design agency K8 based in Oslo, Norway
- Be responsible for implementing product revisions and product quality control, liaising directly with Operations Manager and the factory and QC team
- Support ideation of and implement all limited edition designs into manufacture
- Implement exciting closed loop initiatives
- Take on the challenge of sourcing new and innovative materials with improved LCA for the product which also meet our strict product requirements, helping take the sustainability of the products to the next level
- Create world class products, with world class design awards, that will be used every day by millions of people
GREAT WORK DESERVES GREAT PERKS
Be part of a young startup with traction, with a competitive salary & company equity. We are also committed to ratcheting salaries as we grow, so you’ll be rewarded for being an amazing employee and contributing to our growth. We’ll provide you with the tools & mentors you need to do your best work.
- 26 days paid holiday (25 days, plus an extra day off on your birthday because who wants to work on their birthday). We also close the office for two weeks over Christmas because who wants to work over Christmas.
- Flexible working. Right now we’re working at Soho Works at 180 The Strand and you can choose which days you want to come to the office.
- Regular team social events, and we want to do team trips twice a year (COVID dependent.. ), in February the whole team went to Bali for 3 weeks. While we’re still small we want to make the most of company weeks away and days spent at home or in different places.
- We provide a pension scheme for all permanent employees, in line with government requirements.
- Learning perks.
- We’ll offset your annual carbon footprint.
HOW TO APPLY (Part-time applicants also welcome!)
Send email with why you think you're the right fit and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org