Head of Product Innovation
Our mission is to bring people together to turn the tide on ocean plastic. It's our
belief that we don’t need a handful of people doing sustainability perfectly, we need millions doing it imperfectly. We have big plans and ambitions and have some great backing behind us - Ocean Bottle is made up of a lean but growing team and this is an opportunity to come join a brand that is going to change the world for the better.
Since launching in January 2019 Ocean Bottle has shipped hundreds of thousands of units to 88 countries and partnered with brands including Pangaia, Red Bull, Universal Music, Golden Globes through to Ed Sheeran. We have collected 4,039,607 kgs of plastic and improved livelihoods at the same time, because whether at home or further afield, environmental justice is social justice. We are proud of our diversity policy and it’s our belief that better ideas come from a more diverse team and that the ocean needs all of us. Our work is driven by our impact pillars, which we put front and center to what we do: Ocean Health, Social Good, Closing the Loop and Climate Action. By 2025 our goal is to prevent the equivalent of 7 billion plastic bottles from entering the ocean. Will you help us get there?
Great product design and sustainability has been embedded at the core of our company
since inception but as our first Head of Product Innovation, you will build the product
development department and have the opportunity to take what we are doing to the next level. You will be responsible for creating and driving our future strategy, managing and shaping a growing team and external resources, and ensuring that our products, which end up in the hands of millions and are used every day to drive forward sustainable behaviour, are world leading. This will include and not be limited to managing a team to create world class products that are category defining, levelling up our existing product offering, working with
our tech team to deliver hardware for our impact platform and driving forward sustainability credentials of the product, to ensure that whatever we are putting out there is the most environmental option available. You are an expert on NPD, cutting edge trends around product design & sustainability and also have a strong business acumen, excellent project management & leadership skills and are able to see the big picture. You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in whilst building out your team / external resource and you can communicate both in detail and at a high level with internal & external stakeholders to make quick decisions and also get them the information they need.
- Product quality, price & reliability
- Sustainability Credentials
- Category leading innovation
- Define & Deliver Product Strategy & Product Development Roadmap
- Align NPD priorities with marketing strategy, sales channels and platform strategy
- Deliver best in class products and consistently hit launch targets in line with business objectives
- Set & implement strategy for manufacturing partners
- Set & implement strategy for resource and agencies
- Support NPD manager to run customer & market research to set out product priorities
- Support NPD manager with delivering NPD projects from end to end, launching up to 1 full scope product per quarter and product improvements and accessories throughout year & full product handover to operations for mass manufacture
- Support NPD Manager to manage sampling process & development of bespoke products to meet client objectives
Innovation, Sustainability & Circularity
- Research, develop and test cutting edge sustainable materials to meet objectives across 1) levelling up existing product range and 2) launching cutting edge bespoke products
- Liaise with Ops team to ensure sourcing viability and roll out to manufacture
- Launch new closed-loop Repair & Recycle initiatives working hand in hand with
- impact team
- Work with factory to deliver environmental and social objectives
- Work with impact team to deliver new certifications
- Develop cohesive and detailed marketing narrative and support marketing team with product design comms
- Deliver limited edition strategy to launch new sustainable credentials and drive
- product hype
- Work with marketing team to develop point of sale design for unique retail experience
Production Management & QC
- Manage end to end sourcing process for existing products and NPD to reach
- Elevate product above the category through production specs & quality control of products
- Manage factory and third parties to deliver product quality
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years working experience in the relevant area
- A proven track record of creating world class products within a similar organization either in-house or as a consultant
- Experience in design for circularity and material innovation
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to manage a broad range of projects,
- stakeholders, and build and manage a team
- Creative, operational, analytical skills and data fluency to deliver efficiently projects
- Degree in Industrial Design or related fields
Bonus Points (nonessential, but a bonus if you have them!)
- Previously Involved in circular or traceability programs
- Degree in Material Innovation, Circularity, Environmental Science, Sustainability or related fields
WHAT YOU’LL GET
We’re looking to pay a starting salary of £60,000 - £65,000 for this role, depending on experience. We are committed to ratcheting salaries as we grow, so you’ll be rewarded for being an amazing employee and contributing to our growth!
Fun stuff …
- Stock options: so you’re as invested in our future growth as we are!
- 26 days paid holiday – 25 days plus an extra day off on your birthday (because
- who wants to work on their birthday)
- Flexible working and flexible unpaid leave
- Social: Regular team social events, pizzas a fortnight are a must! We work at WeWork Cursitor London every Monday & Wednesday. While we’re still small we want to make the most of company weeks away and days spent at home or in different places.
- Pension: We provide a pension scheme for all permanent employees, in line with government requirements
- Learning perks: We’ll give you £100 towards books and learning materials every year, so your next read is on us.
- We’ll offset your annual carbon footprint
To apply, please send the below details to email@example.com:
- Quick blurb about why you're interested in the role and why you think you'd be great for it